1) In a small bowl, combine the warm water and 1 tsp of the granulated sugar, sprinkle the yeast over the top and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
2) In a bowl, mix the egg, milk, salt, sugar and melted butter. Add 2 cups of the flour and the water, vanilla and yeast mixture, mix until its all incorporated and slowly add about 2 more cups of flour. Mix for about 5 to 7 minutes or until you have a smooth dough.
3) Oil a large bowl with some oil/melted butter and set aside. Take the dough and pull it together with your hands to form a ball. Place it in the oiled bowl and oil the top of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm spot to rise for about 2 hours.
4) In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cocoa or cinnamon for the filling, set aside.
5) When doubled in size, punch the dough down and roll it out onto a floured surface into a rectangle. Spread the soft butter over the top and sprinkle evenly over the sugar and cocoa mixture.Starting from one of the long ends, tightly roll the dough into a jelly roll form. Cut into 14 to 16 slices (make sure they are even) and place them cut side down in a well buttered baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and put them back into a warm spot to rise for another 1 ½ hours.
6) Meanwhile preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
7) Once risen, brush them with some melted butter and bake them for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Let it cool for a bit. In the mean time mix all the ingredients of the glaze. Pour the glaze over the cocoa rolls and enjoy
A Recipe by Shafa Mikhail inspired by Laura Vitale